Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Turquoise Dreams out NOW


Last Friday, my novella Turquoise Dreams will be published by The Wild Rose Press, specifically The Scarlet Rose line of The Wilder Roses

Nita Ramirez Gonzalez and Calder (Call) Calverton have denied their attraction to each other for years. Now both are having erotic fantasies they can't ignore, especially when their dreams have them experiencing those fantasies through the legendary lovers who died 150 years ago.

This story came about due to the nagging… um, encouragement, Yeah, yeah, The Encouragement of WAP (Writers At Play} mates Tawny Weber and Leslie Dicken. My goal for the book was to write it strictly by the seat of my pants (pantser style) and to write ten pages a day. Leslie was curious about writing for the more erotic lines and wanted to see how I wrote for them. Tawny just likes to nag, much like WAP mate Trish Owens who's currently cracking the whip about getting edits on another book finished.

My husband and I had been to Carlsbad Caverns earlier in the year. I knew I wanted to put that experience into the book. I did more research and decided on AZ, particularly in the Four Corners region. After studying the various cultures who have left their mark on the region, I had my characters.

From beginning the concept through finishing the book, it took fourteen days. To Leslie and Tawny, it took too long. Tawny got the chapters every night and steamed up her monitor reading them. Leslie had to have me send the chapters via her personal email account because she was afraid her company's filters would censor them.

When I was finished, Tawny (Ms. Color Coordinator Plotter) had to applaud that I could write the story without an outline. Leslie became My Grasshopper Who Has Done well. Her newest Scarlet Rose story Improper Nights will be released by The Wild Rose Press on May 9.

It was a fun story to write. The edits suggested by Scarlet Rose Sr. Editor Diana Carlile have tightened it up and strengthen it.

And re: my experience at Carlsbad Caverns: I had reservations to explore one of the "wild" caves, but passed out on the way up the mountain due to heat and altitude. I recreated that the physical aspects of that incident in Turquoise Dreams

Hope you check out Turquoise Dreams and enjoy it. There's an excerpt on my website.

No comments: